hawk

hawk

Wednesday, December 24, 2014

When the Narcissist Dies do you get closure?

My Narc mother recently died so I can tell you first hand. No, especially if you don't get to say your peace. When I arrived at the hospital, she had been sedated to prevent further injury she had an aneurysm. Even though I was no contact for almost two years I felt I had to go. I felt no relief, only empty sadness. A friend helped me clarify what my feelings sadness that she died never repenting for the things she has done not so much to me but to God.  I expected that when this day came; although I expected it to be much later, that I would feel relieved. I am not relieved only sadness for my dad whom she left behind after 52 years of marriage. My dad trying to keep things more upbeat, asked all of us to go around the room and tell a happy moment with her. I couldn't think of one!!  I'm sure there must have been a few but I couldn't think of any. The woman who I felt hated me with every fiber of her being has died she can't humiliate me or covertly attack my character anymore. Yet I still don't take any pleasure in it.  I keep repressing guilt that tries to creep in, fearing that somehow I caused it. I almost even feel bad for writing this post right now but I fear that I might slip back into being gaslit again or as I call it drinking the koolaide. This is as much for you as it is for me, to remind myself what we are dealing with. My conclusion is ABSOLUTELY NOT, there is no closure when a Narc dies you are left with all the pain to deal with and to talk bad of the dead is taboo. 

2 comments:

  1. Telling the truth is becoming increasingly "taboo" in our politically correct society. I hope you've found healing and peace, now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi thanks for your post. I can relate. My narc mother died three months ago. It was a mixture of sadness, confusion and relief. The first two weeks following her death or so I woke up every morning thinking "thanks God she's finally dead" and immediately made myself wrong for thinking this way. What's prevailing now and will be every day in my life is what you said: "she can't humiliate me or covertly attack my character anymore". I'm in the process of discovering who I really am - without her nagging voice in the background. It's painful, it's hard and somewhat rewarding although I'm not there yet. Don't know if I'll ever be there. One thing I learnt is that closure can come if YOU yourself declare it to be so. Longing for that moment of freedom.

    ReplyDelete